Tuesday 18 June 2013

DADDY'S DAY

I know I am a little late on this post, seeing as Father's Day (or Daddy's Day as I call it) was on Sunday, but I have been so busy that I just told myself "better late than never!", so here we go...
My father has spent almost twenty one years raising me, but he has been a father for over thirty years! I am sure when he pictured being a father and raising children he never pictured having three girls who love to dance, shop and talk! Thankfully, we all have a bit of a tomboy side and he never minds following us around all the stores! My dad and I have done many things together from him teaching me to play softball (at which I was pretty good!), to watching hockey games, to camping, to reading every single sign in every museum we have ever visited.
Although we have shared many moments together, this past year has been my favorite by far. Last year at this time my father was dead set against me going to school outside of the Maritimes and while it took many conversations, lots of prayer and even a few tears, we have grown closer and he now understands my dream. Better than that? He supports it.
While we don't always get along and many times we may believe that the other one belongs on another planet, I love him because he is my dad. I love him because whether or not he understands me, whether or not he thinks my dreams are crazy, he stands by me. I love him because he has taught me, showed me right from wrong, helped me to grow in many ways and put his hopes and dreams into my life. That is a true father.
So, this daddy's day, I wanted to make him something special. He loves to barbecue and who are we kidding, I love his barbecued food! After spending some time searching Pinterest, I found a homemade barbecue sauce and whipped it up for him. He was really excited and we are both looking forward to trying it out! I also wanted to put up a few of my favorite photos. The first was in Toronto, Ontario. I was four and always felt so special when on Daddy's shoulders. The second was taken last December at the Christmas tree farm. It is the first year, for as long as I can remember, that my dad and I did not argue over a tree...we actually agreed! I love this picture and it will always be one of my favorite memories.
I have a wonderful dad. I am so thankful that God gave me the chance to be his daughter and while our relationship grows better every day, I am looking forward to strengthening it even more while I'm away.
Happy Father's Day Daddy! I will always love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment