Friday 5 July 2013

OH CANADA!

I know I'm a bit late, seeing as yesterday was America's birthday, but on July 1st we celebrated the birthday of a country that I have always called home...Canada. If we had traveled up to Ottawa we would have celebrated with thousands on Parliament Hill, but in my small Maritime city, we celebrated with our fellow residents in our own (not so little) way!


My mom and I had Hunter for the weekend (as it was also my sister's birthday weekend!) so we decided to join in the festivities. All decked out in Canada's colors, we headed down to the town square for a bit of Canada Day fun!


Considering that they had blocked off one of the city's main streets meant that this was going to be a big day. There were booths upon booths of food, fundraisers and even some activities for the kids. Hunter is still a bit young for all of that, so he sat in his stroller and enjoyed the walk, pointing to every fire truck and becoming very excited.

We went home for some dinner and to put Hunter to bed before settling down to watch our favorite Monday night show: the Bachelorette. About half way through, I decided I really wanted to go to the annual fireworks and so Mom and I packed up and headed down to the river. Each year, the city gathers on either side of the river to watch as fireworks are set off above it. It has been a tradition my entire life.


Although we were quite exhausted, hot and even a little wet from the occasional water droplets, we enjoyed the show. It was short, about ten minutes in length, but beautiful. I had to remind myself several times that this was not the last Canada Day for me as I will be returning home next summer for a visit! 



 So, although I will be gaining some serious British pride over the next few years, I will always be a true Canadian. I have so much love and pride for this beautiful country and I will forever call it home.
Happy Birthday Canada!

No comments:

Post a Comment